Forums

Forum Home > General Chat > Time to bring the hoof down.

LazyBastardGuy

I think we just need to define what a Brony is. By laying out some guidelines to follow, people can know these guidelines and know when a person is not being a Brony. That may help in deflecting criticisms often leveled at us.

I came up with the idea after observing the Derpy fiasco and Bronies giving the wrong impressions of us. It turns out that the third one is already a widely-accepted idea, but I never bothered to check before I wrote up my set of rules. It just made sense to me, so I deduced it out of logic. I never had to check it on the Interwebs first.

Even though I started this, in the spirit of collaboration that has come to be a defining feature of the Brony community, I would not only appreciate but encourage others to pitch in. It's not a list meant only for Bronies; indeed, it would do well if EVERYone on the Internet followed them, but Bronies in particular would be expected to uphold the standard that these rules set because of what it means to be a Brony.

Here's the list of rules that I've taken the time to write, because I'm so sick of hearing about how whiny or rude some Bronies apparently are.

⁃    Do not react in any way to trolls.

⁃    The only exception to the first rule is to anti-troll.*

⁃    If you don't like it, say nothing. Actively trying to suppress it only helps it spread.

⁃    Love and tolerate. No exceptions.

⁃    "Love and tolerate" does NOT mean "embrace and convert."**

⁃    You ARE permitted to state your case, but do not force others to see it your way. ("I believe", not "You should too".)

⁃    Practice what you preach.

⁃    If you don't like what's going on and can't react nicely, just leave. Plain and simple.

⁃    If you violate any of these rules, you are not a Brony.

*Anti-troll - basically trolling a troll, reacting in a way that makes it clear that a troll has failed to get a rise out of you. Really, the only way to do this is to respond, "U MAD?" or "problem?" or even "And you, sir, have lost the game". These are perfectly innocent responses that do not demand another response, nor do they take sides on an issue or present you as being as malicious as the other person. If the person is truly a troll, they will leave if you anti-troll them long enough.

**This means you do NOT need to convert to someone else's point of view just to coexist with them, and you should NOT force them to convert to your own.

It should be obvious but I feel that I must restate it here, so I shall: Bronies, the ones who did things like trying to find out where Yamino lived, the buck stops here - no more hate-mailing or death-threatening or anything of the kind. That was very foolish of you and has only succeeded in making yourselves and your fellow Bronies look stupid. VERY stupid. It also is not nice in the first place - does MLP really need an episode about this to drive the point home, you idiots?

Henceforth, anyone who violates these rules but claims to be a Brony shall be known as a Trolly: a troll who claims to be, but is not, a Brony. By violating the mantra of love and tolerance, a Brony automatically disqualifies him/herself from being a Brony. It's called hypocrisy, people - we cannot tolerate this in the fandom any longer. It's made us look horribly bad to outsiders, and given people more excuse to hate us.

It will be easy to spot Trollies: simply, anyone who violates what we Bronies believe and claims to be a Brony is a trolly. That's troll-ee, for those of you wondering how to pronounce it.

--

My Last.fm...

Seeing Derpy as disabled is ableist. Therefore the people who got upset are the actual offenders.

Apologies for my lengthy posts. I have a lot to say sometimes.

April 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rose Nocturne

(^_^) It's a good thing we can all have our own definitions of the word, then.

--

May 1, 2012 at 5:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

LazyBastardGuy

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

--

My Last.fm...

Seeing Derpy as disabled is ableist. Therefore the people who got upset are the actual offenders.

May 1, 2012 at 8:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Geezer

I believe what Rose may be trying to say is, who are you to decide what a brony is or isn't?  It has become rather endemic to the fandom for the members to dictate to others how they should be behaving, and it's one of the less endearing traits of bronydom.  Rather like religious nuts who go around telling everyone else how they should live instead of taking their own advice.

As far as I'm concerned, a brony is anyone who likes FiM and isn't a little girl.  If any feel strongly about how a brony should behave, lead by example rather than directive.

--

Old and cranky.  Git offa mah lawn!

May 1, 2012 at 9:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rose Nocturne

Eeyup. I couldn't have said it better than Geezer.

May 2, 2012 at 3:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

LazyBastardGuy

That's what I'm saying. If you're going to say you're a Brony, it helps to know how to act. I was only trying to draw the line between people who make us look bad and actual Bronies. These are guidelines. Some of them are rather obvious - no trolling, for example. This just gives a more verbal reference.

I wrote it because I was tired of seeing people on the Internet doing things that make us look bad, so I thought, "If people are going to do that, why not make it clear we don't associate with them?" People can refer to these and go, "Okay, so that person really isn't a Brony. Maybe we shouldn't judge the whole fandom based on this person's conduct."

I agree, Geezer - a Brony is anyone who likes FIM and isn't a little girl. But the show demonstrates a number of useful lessons, and those were used as the basis for these guidelines. If someone's gonna like the show, why not try to apply these lessons? There's nothing in the list that says to do something a certain way - if anything it's about what NOT to do. The whole fandom was founded on the idea of love and tolerate - that's exactly what I'm trying to encourage.

I was especially motivated to do it after seeing that trolls tried to find out where Yamino lived. That's when I said, "Alright, we need to make it clear who WE are and who THEY are." I have said nothing so far to the effect of dictating style - that is, I've never told anyone how to do anything. I apologize if I come across as blunt sometimes, but I've gotten really sick of people assuming all Bronies are overreactive fanboys who cannot stand not having their way. I've also been blunt with a few personal opinions I've posted to this forum - such as the 'critics' thread.

Perhaps the worst thing I've done so far is take a little too much pride in this effort - I've referred to them as 'my rules' when I should have said, "my post where I proposed the rules". No more of that. Again, I am sorry.

I am open to suggestions, so is there anything you think I could change?

--

My Last.fm...

May 2, 2012 at 9:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

LazyBastardGuy

Follow-up: I really like the guidelines and find them helpful. If you don't, that's fine.

--

My Last.fm...

May 2, 2012 at 9:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

LazyBastardGuy

Well, I've thought about it and I see what you're saying. Let's just take the last guideline off. That is a bit dogmatic. Do you like the rest of what I wrote? It's fine if you don't, BTW.

I will admit, when I wrote them I was thinking mainly of those who put up the worst examples of us. I didn't think beyond that to realize, "Well, maybe someone's going to use these the wrong way, like saying who is or is not a Brony." Sorry about that. That didn't enter my mind.

And I do appreciate the feedback, because that's exactly what I was going for. Great job!

--

My Last.fm...

May 2, 2012 at 4:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rose Nocturne

I agree with a lot of what you wrote.

I feel bad that Yamino had to go through all that. Hopefully nothing like that happens again -_-.

May 2, 2012 at 5:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

LazyBastardGuy

Yeah, I mainly had those kind of people in mind when I wrote that. I'm glad you agree with some of it and am very thankful that you pointed out that fallacy. It's really embarrassing that I'm the one that wrote it like that, though. It just kills me.

--

My Last.fm...

May 2, 2012 at 6:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rose Nocturne

It's okay, :). No need to be stressed about it.

May 2, 2012 at 6:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Geezer

The objections I have are mainly that, for one, the fandom is pretty damn diverse.  A fair number spawned from /co/ and /b/ and by extension KYM and ponychan; others come from SomethingAwful, other still from EqD's culture, and a few from pre-G4 collectors.  Probably a whole lot of other sources too.  Point being that these cultures already have somewhat differing views on what's appropriate for bronies, and don't exactly coexist happily to begin with.  Trying to set up what sounds like "These are the rules for being a member of the clubhouse" is a great way to start drama and in-fighting, something I'd prefer to prevent as much as possible.

For another, it's a bit tangential from this board's intended purpose as I understand it:  Restoring a little grey pegasus to her former glory, not about being a main hub of bronydom or a study in ethics.  I'm sure your intentions were good, it's just too easy to get caught up in side-trails like this and lose sight of the main goal.  As I've tried to emphasize elsewhere, a movement will have a greater chance of success if it stays focused.

--

Old and cranky.  Git offa mah lawn!

May 3, 2012 at 2:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.